Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Side Table.2

I promised earlier I'd post more pictures of my side table I built several years ago. As mentioned, the table is built from solid cherry, hence the weight, with brazilian cherry reinforcing pins (the small squares you'll notice around the table). I like to say this table has a quiet design, if you look carefully, it will reveil its details and proportions.






Side Detail


I'm a true believer in solid, true craftsmanship. There are several joinery methods used in this piece giving it its rock solid feel. The leg assembly or framework of the table is all pinned mortise and tenon, which were all hand cut. I used pinned half-lap joints to create the doors, through dovetails for the carcass, which is you look closely at the previous picture you can see through the leg assembly. The top is attached by three sliding dovetails, this particular joint is used to enable the movement of boards when attached cross grain to each other. This is a joint not often used because its difficult and time-consuming to create.

No comments:

Post a Comment