Monday, November 30, 2009

table 9.11


I've been commissioned to build a table for a client. The white oak stock I'm using was reclaimed from an old barn. The wood is very old (truly old growth) so the grain is beautiful. The pictures to follow show the growth of the table.

The rough stock has to first be cleaned. A wire brush reveals the amount of dirt which has built up over the years. Dirt which if not removed would destroy the knives and blades of my equipment.

The oak to the left has rough planed and jointed squaring one edge. The first step in smoothing rough stock.


I had enough stock to make two tables, so I am gluing the 2nd table up first to troubleshoot any issues before I make the mistake on the commissioned piece. This is a table top in clamps.


The second top and prettier top for that matter after glue-up.

This is the top which will be used for the clients table. Note the dark streaks which were caused by years of weather. For scale, the marking knife in the picture is six inches.


This is the leg assembly during glue-up, the corner joints will be spline reinforced miters. As you can see, several clamps must be used to have a successful product. I glue on a piece of surfaced granite, this ensures the product is perfectly flat creating a piece which will not wobble once placed in service.

A close up of one of the mitered corners. The white foam is from the polyurethane glue I use.

The clients base assembly waiting for glue-up. Stay tuned for the completed project.

No comments:

Post a Comment