Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Table 9.11 Continued

Now that I have the base assembly glued up and rough sanded. I now have to reinforce the joints with wood keys. The pictures below show the steps from cuts to glue-up.

I built this jig which allows me to cut the grooves for the keys with my table saw. A quick note- take your time when building jigs to ensure their accuracy. Any inaccuracy in the jig will transfer to the piece being cut, which will cause headaches down the road.

Pictured both above and below are the finished groves which have been cut to receive the keys.



The keys have now been glued and have dried. Next I'll cut the excess key off with a fine hand saw then hand plane the key flush with the face of the base assembly. The finished product can be seen below.



Stay tuned... next I'll glue the legs to the base assembly.

No comments:

Post a Comment